The late physics professor G. Ross Love began his 35-year career as a distinguished academic and senior administrator in 1948 when he joined Carleton as an assistant professor of physics.
From the 1950s to the mid-’70s, Love was instrumental in coordinating all elements of campus planning as the university evolved from a small college to a university. Love was a member of every user committee for every building. He chaired the building advisory committee and during the 1960s, held the position of director of planning. In the early ’70s, Love was named vice-president (academic).
The Founder’s Award is the university’s highest non-academic award and is given annually, when merited, to an individual who has made a significant contribution to the advancement of the university. Love recieved this award in 1999.